STEPS to set up plant to turn plastic waste to fuel
Mumbai: City-based Sustainable Technologies
& Environmental Projects (STEPS) plans to set up a plant to
convert plastic waste into light diesel, calorific value
combustible gas and carbon pellets.
The company has also succeeded in generating diesel from
algae, for which it won the Lockheed Martin Innovations Award
"We can generate diesel from algae through
pyro-catalysis. We also plan to set up a 25-tonne a day
capacity plant near Mumbai shortly with financial assistance
from Tata Capital. It will be a multi-feed processing plant
between Vasai and Bhiwandi," STEPS Director T Raghavendra Rao
told a news agency.
Rao said light diesel oil can be used to run a diesel
electric generator and it can be further purified into petrol,
kerosene and diesel. It can also be purified into aviation
turbine fuel. Recently, the company inked a 51:49 joint
venture with US-based Masada Corporation to set up a
bio-methanol plant using its polycrack technology.
Negotiations for similar joint ventures are also at an
advanced stage with PTFCV of the Netherlands, Ecosphere of
Germany and Agrupalmeria of Spain, as well as UP Solutions,
based in Austin, US, Rao said.
"We are talking to the carpet industry, which generates a
lot of plastic waste due to discarded carpets. We are also
talking to several industries like sugar, breweries and
municipal sewerage waste plants and effluent treatment plants
to source raw material," he said.
The Mumbai city administration has already started a
pilot project at Kandivli using STEPS` technology.
The company is also talking to other municipal bodies at
Pimpri-Chinchwad, Vizag, Satara, Kolhapur, Ulhasnagar and
Kalyan-Dombivili to convert municipal sewerage waste into
value added products, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users