STEPS to set up plant to turn plastic waste to fuel
Mumbai: City-based Sustainable Technologies
& Environmental Projects (STEPS) plans to set up a plant to
convert plastic waste into light diesel, calorific value
combustible gas and carbon pellets.
The company has also succeeded in generating diesel from
algae, for which it won the Lockheed Martin Innovations Award
"We can generate diesel from algae through
pyro-catalysis. We also plan to set up a 25-tonne a day
capacity plant near Mumbai shortly with financial assistance
from Tata Capital. It will be a multi-feed processing plant
between Vasai and Bhiwandi," STEPS Director T Raghavendra Rao
told a news agency.
Rao said light diesel oil can be used to run a diesel
electric generator and it can be further purified into petrol,
kerosene and diesel. It can also be purified into aviation
turbine fuel. Recently, the company inked a 51:49 joint
venture with US-based Masada Corporation to set up a
bio-methanol plant using its polycrack technology.
Negotiations for similar joint ventures are also at an
advanced stage with PTFCV of the Netherlands, Ecosphere of
Germany and Agrupalmeria of Spain, as well as UP Solutions,
based in Austin, US, Rao said.
"We are talking to the carpet industry, which generates a
lot of plastic waste due to discarded carpets. We are also
talking to several industries like sugar, breweries and
municipal sewerage waste plants and effluent treatment plants
to source raw material," he said.
The Mumbai city administration has already started a
pilot project at Kandivli using STEPS` technology.
The company is also talking to other municipal bodies at
Pimpri-Chinchwad, Vizag, Satara, Kolhapur, Ulhasnagar and
Kalyan-Dombivili to convert municipal sewerage waste into
value added products, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'