Thickest Arctic Sea ice melting much faster
Washington: The oldest and thickest Arctic Sea ice is melting much faster than the younger and thinner ice at the edges of the Arctic Ocean`s floating ice cap, an alarming new NASA study has revealed.
The thicker ice, known as multi-year ice, survives through the cyclical summer melt season, when young ice that has formed over winter just as quickly melts again.
The rapid disappearance of older ice makes Arctic sea ice even more vulnerable to further decline in the summer, said Joey Comiso, senior scientist at NASA Goddard Space Flight Centre, Greenbelt, who authored the study, the Journal of Climate reported.
The new research takes a closer look at how multi-year ice, that has made it through at least two summers, has diminished with each passing winter over the last three decades, according to a university statement.
Multi-year ice "extent" -- which includes all areas of the Arctic Ocean which covers at least 15 percent of the ocean surface -- is diminishing at a rate of 15.1 percent per decade, the study found.
Sea ice area is always smaller than sea ice extent, and it gives scientists the information needed to estimate the total volume of ice in the Arctic Ocean.
Comiso found that multi-year ice area is shrinking even faster than multi-year ice extent, by 15.1 percent per decade.
"The average thickness of the Arctic sea ice cover is declining because it is rapidly losing its thick component, the multi-year ice. At the same time, the surface temperature in the Arctic is going up, which results in a shorter ice-forming season," Comiso said.
"It would take a persistent cold spell for most multi-year sea ice and other ice types to grow thick enough in the winter to survive the summer melt season and reverse the trend," Comiso concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'