Rahul Gandhi owns responsibility for Congress debacle in Lok Sabha Elections 2014
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi said on Friday that he held himself responsible for the debacle of his party in the 2104 Lok Sabha polls.
Addressing a short press conference along with his mother and party president Sonia Gandhi, Rahul said, “I congratulate the new government. They have been given mandate by the people.”
On his party`s performance he said, “In my view Congress has done badly. There is lot for us to think about. I hold myself responsible for what has happened.”
The Congress has been handed a drubbing by the people of India who voted overwhelmingly in favour of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
Whereas, the Congress ended up with its worst ever tally and went below 100 mark, the BJP got an absolute majority with NDA crossing the 300 figure mark.
This is the first time since 1984 that any party has got such a massive mandate.
BJP`s prime ministerial candidate and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi led the party`s campaign form the front addressing rallies across India.
Though Rahul was the face of the campaign of his party, the Congress had not named anyone as its PM candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur