Goa government lambasted on illegal mining
Panaji: Constant efforts by the state government to play down the illegal mining scandal in Goa notwithstanding, a feature article released by the Press Information Bureau (PIB) on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Goa`s liberation from colonial Portuguese rule lambasts the authorities for inaction against the menace.
The approximately 1,700-word article written by veteran freedom fighter Nagesh Karmali, president of the All Goa Freedom Fighters Association (AGFFA), also warns that "nature is being exploited beyond limits" in Goa.
"If mining is considered as an industry then we must say that its range has reached far. Of course, this has led to fabulous earnings for the mine owners and the people residing in mining areas. But suffocation seethes within owing to it. The problem of pollution has crept in. Threat looms high on the water sources," said Karmali, whose AGFFA decided last week to boycott the government`s celebrations of the 50th anniversary because of chief minister Digambar Kamat`s "anti-people" policies.
"Nature is being exploited beyond limits. No measures are taken to curb it. `Let it continue as it is`, has become the attitude," Karmali further said in his severe critique of the Congress-led Goa government.
According to the Goa unit of the PIB, the article was part of a "series of feature articles on the occasion of Goa Liberation Day, December 19", released by the central government department.
The feature titled "Liberation Of Goa And Our Aspirations", also speaks of the course of events and developments which have taken place in Goa since its liberation on December 19, 1961.
The Congress-led coalition government in Goa headed by chief minister Digambar Kamat has come under severe criticism over the issue of illegal mining, with civil society groups as well as the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party alleging a massive scam and involvement of several cabinet ministers.
Senior BJP leaders have directly accused Kamat in the Rs.25,000 crore scam, already being probed by a judicial commission headed by Justice MB Shah, which is also investigating illegal mining in other parts of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'