Godhra riot case: SC breather for Modi
New Delhi: In a big relief to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, the Supreme Court Monday dismissed a petition seeking direction to the Nanavati Commission to summon him to depose before the probe panel on his alleged role in the 2002 post-Godhra riots.
An apex court bench headed by Justice D.K. Jain rejected the demand by senior counsel Colin Gonsalves on the grounds that the court could not give any direction to the Nanavati Commission which was appointed under the Commissions of Inquiry Act.
"It is for the commission to devise its own procedure and decide whom it should summon for questioning in connection with its probe," the court told senior counsel.
The court said that it "cannot decide the cases on the basis of personalities. We are judging the report of the commission even before it is ready".
It further said that if the court starts interfering at every stage of the functioning of the commission of inquiry, then the inquiry will never be complete.
The court said this while dismissing a withdrawn petition by Amrish N. Patel challenging the Gujarat high court order by which it upheld the Nanavati Commission`s order - declining plea to summon Modi and others for questioning on their role in the 2002 Gujarat riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Indonesia introduces death, chemical castration for paedophiles
- IPL 2016, Eliminator: SRH beat KKR by 22 runs; play Gujarat in 2nd qualifier for place in final
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results likely to be declared on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- ISRO to test next reusable launch vehicle after studying data of May 23 flight
- Beware! Grilled food not good for health!