Gujarat students caned for complaining against mid-day meal
Vadodara: As many as 47 students of a government primary school at Brahmanvasi village in Gujarat were allegedly beaten up by their woman teacher for raising voice against delay in getting mid day meals, police said on Sunday.
The incident came to light on Saturday after Jayantibhai Somabhai, guardian of one of the students, lodged a police complaint against the teacher, identified as Bela Patel, at Padra police station.
Patel has been shunted out after a hue and cry was generated over the incident.
Following the complaint with police, District Development Officer Rakesh Shankar has asked the District Education Officer to submit the report on the incident.
According to sources, the students of class V of the school had approached the chairman of School Management Committee, Raju Parmar, over inadequate supply of mid day meal, following which he asked the principal of the school to look into the matter.
On Friday, Patel allegedly summoned the children to a classroom and caned them, they said.
While 24 out of 47 students had to be referred to a hospital at Padra town, five of them, namely Divyaben Padhiyar, Vishal Khumansinh, Jayshree Jitubhai Sindha, Lata Bhpuendra Parmar and Yogesh Subhash Parmar have reportedly received injuries on their backs.
Meanwhile, Sarpanch of Brahmanvasi village panchayat, identified as Kamleshbhai, said the villagers will launch a protest seeking transfer of all the seven teachers of the school.
The teachers are not interested in doing their duty. They are always busy talking over mobile phones," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25