Gujarat students caned for complaining against mid-day meal
Vadodara: As many as 47 students of a government primary school at Brahmanvasi village in Gujarat were allegedly beaten up by their woman teacher for raising voice against delay in getting mid day meals, police said on Sunday.
The incident came to light on Saturday after Jayantibhai Somabhai, guardian of one of the students, lodged a police complaint against the teacher, identified as Bela Patel, at Padra police station.
Patel has been shunted out after a hue and cry was generated over the incident.
Following the complaint with police, District Development Officer Rakesh Shankar has asked the District Education Officer to submit the report on the incident.
According to sources, the students of class V of the school had approached the chairman of School Management Committee, Raju Parmar, over inadequate supply of mid day meal, following which he asked the principal of the school to look into the matter.
On Friday, Patel allegedly summoned the children to a classroom and caned them, they said.
While 24 out of 47 students had to be referred to a hospital at Padra town, five of them, namely Divyaben Padhiyar, Vishal Khumansinh, Jayshree Jitubhai Sindha, Lata Bhpuendra Parmar and Yogesh Subhash Parmar have reportedly received injuries on their backs.
Meanwhile, Sarpanch of Brahmanvasi village panchayat, identified as Kamleshbhai, said the villagers will launch a protest seeking transfer of all the seven teachers of the school.
The teachers are not interested in doing their duty. They are always busy talking over mobile phones," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!