Gujarat students caned for complaining against mid-day meal
Vadodara: As many as 47 students of a government primary school at Brahmanvasi village in Gujarat were allegedly beaten up by their woman teacher for raising voice against delay in getting mid day meals, police said on Sunday.
The incident came to light on Saturday after Jayantibhai Somabhai, guardian of one of the students, lodged a police complaint against the teacher, identified as Bela Patel, at Padra police station.
Patel has been shunted out after a hue and cry was generated over the incident.
Following the complaint with police, District Development Officer Rakesh Shankar has asked the District Education Officer to submit the report on the incident.
According to sources, the students of class V of the school had approached the chairman of School Management Committee, Raju Parmar, over inadequate supply of mid day meal, following which he asked the principal of the school to look into the matter.
On Friday, Patel allegedly summoned the children to a classroom and caned them, they said.
While 24 out of 47 students had to be referred to a hospital at Padra town, five of them, namely Divyaben Padhiyar, Vishal Khumansinh, Jayshree Jitubhai Sindha, Lata Bhpuendra Parmar and Yogesh Subhash Parmar have reportedly received injuries on their backs.
Meanwhile, Sarpanch of Brahmanvasi village panchayat, identified as Kamleshbhai, said the villagers will launch a protest seeking transfer of all the seven teachers of the school.
The teachers are not interested in doing their duty. They are always busy talking over mobile phones," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...