‘PIL seeking removal of Guj Governor frivolous’
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Thursday dismissed
a "frivolous" PIL seeking removal of Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal and imposed a cost of Rs one lakh on an advocate for filing the "misconceived" and "misleading" petition leading to the "wastage of court`s precious time".
A bench of justices H L Dattu and A K Dave took strong
exception that advocate Ashok Pande, a native of Uttar
Pradesh, "misused" the public interest litigation (PIL) for
which an exemplary cost must be imposed.
At the very beginning of the hearing, the bench made it clear to the advocate that the petition was "frivolous" and it would impose heavy cost if he goes ahead with the arguments.
Testing the patience of the bench, Pande went ahead with
his arguments for an one hour during which he raised all sorts
of issue including appointing a Constitution bench for his
The matter, which was listed for mentioning, was heard
for more than one hour by the bench which is normally not
At the end of his arguments, the bench dismissed his
petition seeking direction to the President to recall the
Gujarat governor and imposed a cost of Rs one lakh.
The bench said Pande will have to deposit the cost to the
Gujarat Legal Services Authority within a week failing which
recovery process would be initiated.
The petitioner, however, made submissions even after the
order was dictated and then sought apology with folded hands.
Not sympathising with his gesture, the bench told him
that it had warned him at the beginning of the hearing and
called the security to take him away as he continued with his
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today