‘PIL seeking removal of Guj Governor frivolous’
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Thursday dismissed
a "frivolous" PIL seeking removal of Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal and imposed a cost of Rs one lakh on an advocate for filing the "misconceived" and "misleading" petition leading to the "wastage of court`s precious time".
A bench of justices H L Dattu and A K Dave took strong
exception that advocate Ashok Pande, a native of Uttar
Pradesh, "misused" the public interest litigation (PIL) for
which an exemplary cost must be imposed.
At the very beginning of the hearing, the bench made it clear to the advocate that the petition was "frivolous" and it would impose heavy cost if he goes ahead with the arguments.
Testing the patience of the bench, Pande went ahead with
his arguments for an one hour during which he raised all sorts
of issue including appointing a Constitution bench for his
The matter, which was listed for mentioning, was heard
for more than one hour by the bench which is normally not
At the end of his arguments, the bench dismissed his
petition seeking direction to the President to recall the
Gujarat governor and imposed a cost of Rs one lakh.
The bench said Pande will have to deposit the cost to the
Gujarat Legal Services Authority within a week failing which
recovery process would be initiated.
The petitioner, however, made submissions even after the
order was dictated and then sought apology with folded hands.
Not sympathising with his gesture, the bench told him
that it had warned him at the beginning of the hearing and
called the security to take him away as he continued with his
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!