Probe in chinkara poaching case hits roadblock
Vadodara: Even five days after carcasses
of two Chinkara cubs were found near Bitta village in Abdasa
tehsil of the district, Forest officials are still groping in
the dark to trace the poachers and have roped in the NGOs,
police and locals to get clue on the crime.
"The limbs, heads and some other body part of the two
Chinkara cubs were found on the outskirt of Bitta village
Saturday last on the Christmas eve. One of them was
six-month-old and another one year," District Forest Officer
(West) AC Sampant told a news agency.
It is not clear whether the endangered gazelle were
killed at the said spot since Narayan Sarovar Sanctuary--of
which chinkara is a flagship species--is said to be only one
of its kind located in India in Bhuj district of the state.
"Dismembered bodies of the cubs were found at the spot
in Bitta village but they were hunted elsewhere and parts of
their bodies were dumped on the outskirt of this village," he
The Forest department has roped in locals, police and
NGOs to trace the poachers since it could not find any witness
to the crime.
"We sent the carcasses for postmortem at Rajkot and
sought help of Forensic experts whose report is awaited,"
The poachers must have hunted down the cubs after
chasing them elsewhere and might have come to Bitta village to
destroy the evidence, he added.
Under Wildlife Act 1972, there is a provision of a
fine up to Rs 10,000 and three years imprisonment for poaching
the schedule-I animal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM