‘Verdict on Guj Lokayukta a setback to federalism’
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday termed the judgement of
the Gujarat High Court upholding the appointment of the state
Lokayukta by the governor, as "a setback to federalism".
"The divided judgement of the Gujarat High Court is a
setback to federalism. The governor is a nominee of central
"If a governor gets primacy over the state government on
the appointment of Lokayukta, it amounts to Government of
India appointing the Lokayukta," Leader of Opposition in Rajya
Sabha Arun Jaitley told reporters here.
He said the verdict will hurt Lokayukta as an
The High Court, in a majority decision, upheld the
appointment of Lokayukta by the governor, while dismissing the
plea of the state challenging it. The Gujarat government said
it will challenge the order in the Supreme Court.
"We accept the verdict of the High Court. But our points
remain and we will challenge this decision in the Supreme
Court after consultations with legal experts," Gujarat
government spokesperson and Health Minister Jaynarayan Vyas
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes