‘Verdict on Guj Lokayukta a setback to federalism’
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday termed the judgement of
the Gujarat High Court upholding the appointment of the state
Lokayukta by the governor, as "a setback to federalism".
"The divided judgement of the Gujarat High Court is a
setback to federalism. The governor is a nominee of central
"If a governor gets primacy over the state government on
the appointment of Lokayukta, it amounts to Government of
India appointing the Lokayukta," Leader of Opposition in Rajya
Sabha Arun Jaitley told reporters here.
He said the verdict will hurt Lokayukta as an
The High Court, in a majority decision, upheld the
appointment of Lokayukta by the governor, while dismissing the
plea of the state challenging it. The Gujarat government said
it will challenge the order in the Supreme Court.
"We accept the verdict of the High Court. But our points
remain and we will challenge this decision in the Supreme
Court after consultations with legal experts," Gujarat
government spokesperson and Health Minister Jaynarayan Vyas
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon