Bharat Bandh: Highways blocked in Punjab, life hit in Haryana
Chandigarh: Hundreds of ruling Shiromani Akali Dal-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) activists Thursday blocked traffic on highways across Punjab following the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) and Left parties` calls for a nationwide shutdown to protest the recent petrol price hike.
Undeterred by the summer heat, protestors blocked Amritsar-Delhi National Highway No 1 (NH-1) near Amritsar. They also blocked the Punjab-Jammu national highway near Tanda town in Hoshiarpur district, 180 km from here.
Highways were also blocked in Bathinda and Jalandhar districts.
Markets across Punjab wore a deserted look at most places.
In neighbouring Haryana, the response to the strike call was a mixed one. Haryana is a Congress ruled state but opposition parties were trying to rally people to protest the petrol price hike.
In Chandigarh, BJP workers blocked the railway track near Vikas Nagar area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!