Bharat Bandh: Highways blocked in Punjab, life hit in Haryana
Chandigarh: Hundreds of ruling Shiromani Akali Dal-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) activists Thursday blocked traffic on highways across Punjab following the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) and Left parties` calls for a nationwide shutdown to protest the recent petrol price hike.
Undeterred by the summer heat, protestors blocked Amritsar-Delhi National Highway No 1 (NH-1) near Amritsar. They also blocked the Punjab-Jammu national highway near Tanda town in Hoshiarpur district, 180 km from here.
Highways were also blocked in Bathinda and Jalandhar districts.
Markets across Punjab wore a deserted look at most places.
In neighbouring Haryana, the response to the strike call was a mixed one. Haryana is a Congress ruled state but opposition parties were trying to rally people to protest the petrol price hike.
In Chandigarh, BJP workers blocked the railway track near Vikas Nagar area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional