Bharat Bandh: Highways blocked in Punjab, life hit in Haryana
Chandigarh: Hundreds of ruling Shiromani Akali Dal-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) activists Thursday blocked traffic on highways across Punjab following the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) and Left parties` calls for a nationwide shutdown to protest the recent petrol price hike.
Undeterred by the summer heat, protestors blocked Amritsar-Delhi National Highway No 1 (NH-1) near Amritsar. They also blocked the Punjab-Jammu national highway near Tanda town in Hoshiarpur district, 180 km from here.
Highways were also blocked in Bathinda and Jalandhar districts.
Markets across Punjab wore a deserted look at most places.
In neighbouring Haryana, the response to the strike call was a mixed one. Haryana is a Congress ruled state but opposition parties were trying to rally people to protest the petrol price hike.
In Chandigarh, BJP workers blocked the railway track near Vikas Nagar area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials