Ruchika’s family gives up fight for justice
Chandigarh: The family of Ruchika Girhotra, a minor girl who committed suicide after allegedly being molested by former Director General of Police (DGP) of Haryana SPS Rathore, hasn’t objected to CBI’s closure report which states that there is no evidence to prove Ruchika’s brother Ashu was tortured in custody or that signatures of her father had been forged on her post-mortem report.
Appearing before the Panchkula court, SC Girhotra and his son Ashu raised no objection to the CBI move.
Based on the family’s decision, the CBI court in Panchkula accepted the closure report filed by the agency in 2010 in these two cases on Friday.
Ashu had alleged that a false case of auto theft was slapped on him at the behest of Rathore and he was brutally tortured by the Haryana police. But the CBI closure report said there was no evidence to substantiate the allegations.
The report also took note of the fact that Ashu had admitted to theft of nine vehicles. However, Ashu was acquitted of the theft charges by a Panchkula court in 1997.
SC Girhotra had alleged that his signatures were taken on blank papers during the post-mortem proceedings of his daughter Ruchika. He also said that his daughter’s name was intentionally changed to Ruby and his name from SC Girhotra to his expanded initials ‘Subhash Chand’.
But the CBI closure report said that Girhotra had himself disclosed his name as Subhash Chand and his daughter’s name as Ruby.
A CBI court in Chandigarh had, in December 2009, found Rathore guilty and sentenced him to six years of rigorous imprisonment for molesting the 14-year-old Ruchika on August 12, 1990. He is currently out on bail from the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?