Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
Know all about the life threatening disease Navjot Singh Sidhu is suffering from.
Zee Media Bureau/Ritu Singh
New Delhi: Former India cricketer Navjot Singh Sidhu, was admitted to the Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in New Delhi. Sidhu was diagnosed with acute deep vein thrombosis (DVT), a condition which is caused by a blood clot in a deep vein, hindering blood flow.
Now all of you who are wondering about this condition, read on!
Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) is the formation of a blood clot within a deep vein, predominantly in the legs. Blood clots occur when the blood thickens and clumps together--it blocks the flow of blood in the affected vein.
Deep vein thrombosis is a serious condition because blood clots in your veins can break loose, travel through your bloodstream and lodge in your lungs, blocking blood flow (pulmonary embolism). If not treated on time, this can become a life threatening condition.
The people who are at the most risk are those who have to sit for long periods of time. DVT is a common occurrence among people sitting for long periods on flights. It also affects people who don't move for a long time, such as after surgery, following an accident, or when you are confined to a hospital or nursing home bed.
Deep vein thrombosis signs and symptoms can include:
- Swelling in the affected leg or swelling in both legs.
- Cramping pain in your affected leg that usually begins in your calf
- An area of skin that feels warmer than the skin on the surrounding areas
- Skin over the affected area turning pale or a reddish or bluish color
- Your legs feel very weak and you feel tired
How to prevent DVT:
- Quit smoking
- Make it a point to exercise daily, even for a few minutes
- Walk regularly to improve circulation in your legs.
- Eat balanced, high-fibre meals to prevent obesity