Baking smell can make you more kind: Study
London: The smell of freshly baked breads, cakes and pastries don`t just stimulate our appetites they make us nicer people, a new study has claimed.
Benefits of freshly baked bread extend far beyond the obvious ones - such as being comforting, homely and undeniably delicious, researchers said.
Researchers at the University of Southern Brittany in France, believe it may also make us kinder to strangers, the `Daily Mail` reported.
They found that shoppers were more likely to alert a passer-by that they had dropped a belonging if, at the time, they were also passing near a bakery giving off the mouth-watering aroma.
Their findings suggest certain smells trigger a positive mood that leads to a greater degree of altruism, or unconditional concern for the welfare of others.
The experts, recruited eight young men and women volunteers and told them to stand outside either a bakery or a clothes boutique.
The volunteers pretended to be looking for something in their bags as they stepped in front of a passing shopper.
The participants dropped a glove, handkerchief or packet of tissues, as they walked a few feet in front of the shopper
The experiments which were repeated up to 400 times found that when the volunteers dropped the items outside the bakery, 77 per cent of passers-by stopped and helped recover the lost items and hand them back to their owner.
Outside the clothes shop only 52 per cent of strangers helped.
Researchers found that other smells widely regarded as pleasant would trigger similarly benevolent behaviour.
"Our results show that, in general, spontaneous help is offered more in areas where pleasant ambient smells are spread," researchers said.
"This experiment confirms the role of ambient food odours on altruism," they said.
The study findings were published in the Journal of Social Psychology.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know