Chronic conditions and prescription drugs causes sexual dysfunction
Washington: Sexual dysfunction often refers to different symptoms in men and women, yet it can share similar underlying causes.
In women, the problem is often characterized by low sexual desire or various disorders of functions like sexual arousal, orgasm, and sexual pain.
In men, erectile dysfunction (ED) is difficulty in getting or keeping erections sufficient for intercourse.
According to recent studies, prescription medications can cause approximately one in four cases of sexual dysfunction.
The many medical conditions and major classes of drugs that can negatively impact your sex life are:
Firstly high blood pressure, the condition can directly lead to sexual dysfunction, as can the medicines that are used to treat it, as these medications act by lowering the pressure inside blood vessels, thereby decreasing the strain on the heart, Fox News reported.
In men, this decreased blood flow can interfere with erections, ejaculation and sexual desire while in women, decreased sexual desire, difficulties achieving orgasm and vaginal dryness are common side effects.
Secondly, high cholesterol, statins and other drugs that are used to treat this condition often act by limiting the availability of cholesterol and as cholesterol is a vital building block of hormones, including testosterone, estrogen and other sex hormones, therefore, a reduction in them can lead to reduced production of these hormones.
Thirdly, diabetes can damage blood vessels and nerves, which are two big components of sexual function and like high blood pressure, the reduced blood flow that results from damaged vessels can contribute towards sexual dysfunction.
Fourthly, antidepressants for depression/anxiety act by blocking chemicals in the brain, particularly chemicals like serotonin, norepinephrine and acetylcholine that relay signals between nerve cells.
It is well documented that decreased libido, diminished ability to orgasm or ejaculate, and impotence are linked with antidepressant usage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH