`Man flu` really exists as males suffer more from cold than women
London: ` Man flu` really does exist, as according to a study, men suffer more with coughs and colds because they have extra temperature receptors in the brain and so experience worse symptoms.
Children deal with colds the same way because the relevant area of the brain is the same size in boys and girls, Durham University neuroscientist Dr Amanda Ellison said.
But when boys hit puberty testosterone starts to act on the area, called the preoptic nucleus, making it larger, the Daily Mail reported.
"When you have a cold one of the things that happens is you get an increase in temperature to fight off the bugs. The bugs can`t survive at higher temperatures," Dr Ellison said.
She said that when the immune system is under attack, the preoptic nucleus increases temperature to kill off the bugs.
But men have more temperature receptors because that area of the brain is bigger in men than women. So men run a higher temperature and feel rougher - and if they complain they feel rough then maybe they`re right, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Manipur tribals to observe unity day on Aug 31
- India is 7th wealthiest country in the world, ahead of Canada, Australia and Italy
- SHOCKING! Heads of Moroccan Islamist movement caught having sex on the beach
- Saturn's moon Dione reveals its contrasting features to NASA's Cassini! - See pic
- Divine coincidence! After 5000 years, this 'shubh muhurat' occurs again on Krishna Janmashtami this year—FIND OUT