`Man flu` really exists as males suffer more from cold than women
London: ` Man flu` really does exist, as according to a study, men suffer more with coughs and colds because they have extra temperature receptors in the brain and so experience worse symptoms.
Children deal with colds the same way because the relevant area of the brain is the same size in boys and girls, Durham University neuroscientist Dr Amanda Ellison said.
But when boys hit puberty testosterone starts to act on the area, called the preoptic nucleus, making it larger, the Daily Mail reported.
"When you have a cold one of the things that happens is you get an increase in temperature to fight off the bugs. The bugs can`t survive at higher temperatures," Dr Ellison said.
She said that when the immune system is under attack, the preoptic nucleus increases temperature to kill off the bugs.
But men have more temperature receptors because that area of the brain is bigger in men than women. So men run a higher temperature and feel rougher - and if they complain they feel rough then maybe they`re right, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you