Most obese people live in `denial`
London: It`s official. A quarter of Britain`s population are obese, new figures have revealed.
Despite a quarter being obese on the Body Mass Index (BMI) scale, a high number "deny" how severely their weight could be affecting their health. Only six per cent believe their problem is severe enough to be described as obese.
In fact, three quarters of people with an obese BMI underestimate their weight category according to the National Slimming Survey of 2,065 people.
BMI is a measurement which compares weight and height, defines people as overweight (pre-obese) if their BMI is between 25 and 30 kg/m2, and obese when it is greater than 30 kg/m2.
More than one in three respondents who are regarded as overweight said they felt weight was "the most important issue in life". Half of those classified as obese said their weight made them feel embarrassed, while others felt awkward or trapped.
Dr Jacquie Lavin, of Slimming World, was quoted by a newspaper as saying, "This worrying data reveals the complex psychological issues associated with being overweight.
"Many deny how severely it could be affecting their health by increasing their risk of diabetes, heart disease and stroke."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- If Congress was pro-poor, why does poverty still exist in India, asks PM Narendra Modi
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- Check biharboard.ac.in / biharboard.bih.nic.in for Bihar School Examination Board BSEB Inter Arts Result 2015