Nausea drug can kill brain tumours
Melbourne: Scientists have discovered that the growth of brain tumours can be halted by a drug currently used to help patients recover from chemotherapy-induced nausea.
New research from the University of Adelaide looked at the relationship between brain tumours and a peptide associated with inflammation in the brain, called "substance P".
Substance P is commonly released throughout the body by the nervous system, and contributes to tissue swelling following injury. In the brain, levels of substance P greatly increase after traumatic brain injury and stroke.
"Researchers have known for some time that levels of substance P are also greatly increased in different tumour types around the body," said Dr Elizabeth Harford-Wright, a postdoctoral fellow in the University`s Adelaide Centre for Neuroscience Research.
"We wanted to know if these elevated levels of the peptide were also present in brain tumour cells, and if so, whether or not they were affecting tumour growth. Importantly, we wanted to see if we could stop tumour growth by blocking substance P," she said.
Harford-Wright found that levels of substance P were greatly increased in brain tumour tissue.
Knowing that substance P binds to a receptor called NK1, she used an antagonist drug called Emend to stop substance P binding to the receptor. Emend is already used in cancer clinics to help patients with chemotherapy-induced nausea.
"We were successful in blocking substance P from binding to the NK1 receptor, which resulted in a reduction in brain tumour growth - and it also caused cell death in the tumour cells," she said.
"So preventing the actions of substance P from carrying out its role in brain tumours actually halted the growth of brain cancer.
"This is a very exciting result, and it offers further opportunities to study possible brain tumour treatments over the coming years," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Sensex zooms 485 points to 7-month high; Nifty recaptures 8,000-mark
- VHP accuses UP government of polarising people
- Sonal Chauhan, Ankit Tiwari's new song video 'Badtameez' is must watch for every heartbroken lover!
- State BJP, Congress, Left to boycott Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in, Arun Jaitley to attend
- Jibe at Subramanian Swamy? Arun Jaitley says he disapproves of personal attack on Raghuram Rajan