Himachal keen to expand airports
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh is keen to expand its existing airports in Kullu and Kangra districts to strengthen air connectivity, Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal said here Friday.
For the Kullu airport, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee has prepared a detailed feasibility report for expanding its runway by 550 metres.
"As per the feasibility report, Rs.248 crore is required. Minor extension of another 60 metres has also been planned by the Airports Authority of India (AAI)," Dhumal, who also holds the civil aviation portfolio, told the state assembly in a written reply.
He said in view of the construction of a proposed 32-km-long tunnel by NHPC Ltd for a hydropower project near the runway, the feasibility of the extension runway is being re-examined.
To extend the Kangra airport near Dharamsala, the AAI requires 26 acres of additional land.
"As per the report from field revenue authorities, about 30 families from two villages will be affected by the acquisition. Initially, the local people were adamant to give the land for it, the matter is being re-examined," Dhumal added.
The state`s third airport is located in Shimla.
Dhumal, during the last winter session, asked the central government to provide technically advanced night landing and take-off facilities at the airports.
"We have been requesting the central government and will again request them to provide night landing facilities at Shimla, Kangra and Bhuntar (near Kullu) airports," Dhumal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’