May cancel land allotted to Tibetans: Dhumal
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal Thursday said his government will cancel allotment of land by the previous Congress government to Tibetan refugees if an ongoing probe found "any irregularity" was committed.
Dhumal said the allocation of land by the Virbhadra Singh-government to exiled Tibetans "is being enquired into".
"The Virbhadra government himself amended (land) laws to favour Tibetans. The allocation of land would be cancelled, if any irregularity is found," the Chief Minister told reporters
The cancellation threat comes two days after Virbhadra Singh, the union minister of micro, small and medium enterprises, slammed the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led government in Himachal Pradesh for violating land laws by giving special permission to Team Anna member and counsel Prashant Bhushan to buy property in the state.
Dhumal said the land in Palampur town of Kangra district was allotted to Bhushan`s Kumud Bhushan Educational society on his request.
Virbhadra Singh, a five-time former chief minister and Congress leader alleged that Bhushan`s society had bought a tea garden that violated the Himachal Pradesh Ceiling on Land Holdings Act of 1972.
The row over the land given to Tibetans, who fled to India in 1959 with their spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, is in a court since November 2010.
A division bench of the Himachal Pradesh High Court has issued notice to the Tibetan government-in-exile based in Dharamsala, the central and state governments regarding the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof