Sonia Gandhi to address Himachal rally on Oct 22
Shimla: Congress president Sonia Gandhi will address an election rally on Monday in the historic town of Mandi, becoming the first national-level leader to visit Himachal Pradesh for campaigning in the forthcoming state Assembly Elections, an official said.
"Sonia Gandhi will address her first election rally in Mandi. One more rally has been planned after this one," a Congress leader said here on Sunday.
Former union minister and Congress leader Sukh Ram, 83, belongs to Mandi town and commands influence in the area.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh would address a rally in Una town on October 28, while a series of rallies have been planned by the party for general secretary Rahul Gandhi.
The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has also invited its national leaders to address rallies in the state.
"Our leaders LK Advani, Arun Jaitley and Nitin Gadkari would address poll rallies this week," BJP national general secretary JP Nadda told a news agency.
He said Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi will also address rallies.
Elaborate security arrangements have been made during the visit of the national leaders.
As many as 4.59 million voters will cast their ballots on November 04 at 7,253 polling stations across Himachal Pradesh. The votes will be counted on December 20, after the Gujarat Assembly polls are over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre