New Delhi: Admiral Sunil Lanba took pover as the new Chief of the Naval Staff on Tuesday as the outgoing Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral R.K. Dhowan superannuated from service.
Here are key things to know about Admiral Sunil Lanba:-
- Lanba was Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (FOC-in-C) Western Naval Command
- Born on July 17, 1957, Sunil Lanba was commissioned on January 1, 1978 into the Executive Branch of Indian Navy
- He is a qualified specialist in navigation and direction course
- He attended the course at the Royal College of Defence Studies, the U.K.
- He is a recipient of Param Vishist Seva Medal and Ati Vishist Seva Medal
- He is married to Reena Lanba and the couple have a son and two daughters
- During his long and distinguished service spanning nearly 38 years, he has served in a variety of Command, operational and staff appointments
- Lanba's Sea Command includes commanding the minesweeper INS Kakinada, frigate INS Himgiri and Executive Officer of INS Viraat, the aircraft carrier.
- Before taking over as FOC-in-C, Western Naval Command, he was FOC-in-C, Southern Naval Command, Vice Chief of the Naval Staff and Commandant, National Defence College.