Fire on aircraft carrier INS Viraat, one Navy personnel dead
Delhi: One Navy personnel died on Sunday as fire broke out on aircraft carrier INS Viraat.
Chief Engineering Mechanic Ashu Singh was reportedly shifted to the naval hospital in Goa where he died after suffering a cardiac arrest.
Also, reports said that three others had sustained injuries in the fire after inhaling smoke.
They are said to be under treatment and out of danger.
The fire broke out in one of its boiler rooms after leakage of steam and was quickly brought under control, as per reports.
It is being said that the fire was minor and broke out in the afternoon today when the aircraft carrier was on a routine deployment to Goa.
The carrier is to be decommissioned later this year and the incident comes on a day when Sea Harrier fighter jet flew off its deck for the last time.
In 2013 too, a fire incident had taken place on INS Viraat off the coast of Mumbai.
However, Navy Headquarters had then termed the event as minor, saying that there had been no injury to anyone in the fire incident which had taken place in the air conditioning system on the aircraft carrier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog