Fire on aircraft carrier INS Viraat, one Navy personnel dead
Delhi: One Navy personnel died on Sunday as fire broke out on aircraft carrier INS Viraat.
Chief Engineering Mechanic Ashu Singh was reportedly shifted to the naval hospital in Goa where he died after suffering a cardiac arrest.
Also, reports said that three others had sustained injuries in the fire after inhaling smoke.
They are said to be under treatment and out of danger.
The fire broke out in one of its boiler rooms after leakage of steam and was quickly brought under control, as per reports.
It is being said that the fire was minor and broke out in the afternoon today when the aircraft carrier was on a routine deployment to Goa.
The carrier is to be decommissioned later this year and the incident comes on a day when Sea Harrier fighter jet flew off its deck for the last time.
In 2013 too, a fire incident had taken place on INS Viraat off the coast of Mumbai.
However, Navy Headquarters had then termed the event as minor, saying that there had been no injury to anyone in the fire incident which had taken place in the air conditioning system on the aircraft carrier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- World Cup winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari wants to succeed Roy Hodgson as new England manager
- Another jolt to BSP, senior party leader RK Chaudhary also accuses Mayawati of auctioning election ticket
- Gold price up Rs 100 at Rs 30,350 per ten grams; silver tops Rs 43k level
- Vadra should be prosecuted for alleged suicide, if it was assisted, of his father: Subramanian Swamy
- Sachin Tendulkar's latest tweet proves that wherever he goes, India follows - See pic inside!