Fire on aircraft carrier INS Viraat, one Navy personnel dead
Delhi: One Navy personnel died on Sunday as fire broke out on aircraft carrier INS Viraat.
Chief Engineering Mechanic Ashu Singh was reportedly shifted to the naval hospital in Goa where he died after suffering a cardiac arrest.
Also, reports said that three others had sustained injuries in the fire after inhaling smoke.
They are said to be under treatment and out of danger.
The fire broke out in one of its boiler rooms after leakage of steam and was quickly brought under control, as per reports.
It is being said that the fire was minor and broke out in the afternoon today when the aircraft carrier was on a routine deployment to Goa.
The carrier is to be decommissioned later this year and the incident comes on a day when Sea Harrier fighter jet flew off its deck for the last time.
In 2013 too, a fire incident had taken place on INS Viraat off the coast of Mumbai.
However, Navy Headquarters had then termed the event as minor, saying that there had been no injury to anyone in the fire incident which had taken place in the air conditioning system on the aircraft carrier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster