Have fought terrorism all my life, says Chhota Rajan; will he help India nab Dawood Ibrahim?
The fugitive gangster Chhota Rajan said on Sunday that 'he had fought terrorism all his life'.
New Delhi: In a move which can prove to be fruitful for India to nab the underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, the fugitive gangster Chhota Rajan alias Rajendra Sadashiv Nikhalje said on Sunday that 'he had fought terrorism all his life'.
In an exclusive interview to 'ABP News', Rajan who was recently arrested in Indonesian city of Bali, said, “I have fought terrorism all my life. And I will continue to do that.”
As per the interview, Rajan made the above statement while referring to his enmity with Dawood, who is accused of waging war against the country due to his involvement in 1993 Mumbai serial blasts.
Chhota Rajan and Dawood Ibrahim have been involved in a bloody battle for the past two decades.
Mumbai-born Rajan, once a close confidante-turned-rival of Dawood further said that he is not afraid of the underworld don, the prime accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
Rajan was an associate of Ibrahim, however, fell apart with Dawood after Mumbai blasts. Rajan claims to have parted ways after the blasts. Chhota Rajan had called himself a patriotic don.
Earlier in the day, Chhota Rajan, who was arrested on arrival from Australia, received consular access with an Indian diplomat meeting him at Indonesian police's detention centre in Bali.
First Secretary (consular) Sanjeev Kumar Agrawal met Rajan for nearly half an hour at the detention centre here where he has been lodged since his arrest last Sunday, sources said.
Agrawal, who is based in Indian Embassy in Jakarta, flew in this morning to Bali and drove straight to the police centre for his meeting with 55-year-old Rajan, one of India's most wanted criminals.
The consular access to Rajan comes two days after Indonesian police submitted a report to the Indian Embassy about Rajan's detention.
When Rajan was arrested at the Bali airport, he was carrying an Indian passport with the assumed name Mohan Kumar.
Indian Ambassador to Indonesia Gurjit Singh had said on Friday that the process relating to Rajan's deportation to India has already begun but there is no deadline for it.
Rajan has also hired a lawyer, Fransico Prassar, who met him at the detention centre two days ago.
Rajan, whose original name is Rajendra Sadashiv Nikhalje, has been questioned by the Indonesian police several times in the last few days to confirm his identity and criminal acts in India.
Indian government wanted Rajan in over 75 heinous crimes ranging from murder, extortion to smuggling and drug trafficking.
The 55-year-old underworld don was arrested in Bali on the basis of a Red Corner Notice from Interpol and following a tip off by Australian authorities to the police in Indonesia.
In the absence of an extradition treaty, the Indian authorities have already provided documents to their Indonesian counterparts about Rajan's Indian identity to facilitate his deportation.
The sources said Rajan was in touch with various police officials for last six months seeking a passage to return to India as he feared for his life in Australia from Chhota Shakeel, a henchman of Dawood.
In 2000, there was an attempt on Rajan's life when Dawood's men tracked him down to a hotel in Bangkok but he managed a dramatic escape.
(With Agency inputs)