New Delhi: David Coleman Headley on Thursday admitted before a Mumbai court via video conferencing that he was involved in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks. He further told the court that he was ready to appear before it as a witness, effectively saying he was ready to turn approver.
Here are some facts about Headley which you should know:
- David Coleman Headley is a US terrorist of Pakistani origin.
- He was born in Pakistan as Daood Sayed Gilani on June 30, 1960.
- He was part of the terror group that conspired with Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) and Pakistani intelligence in plotting and carrying out the November 26, 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
- Headley is believed to have travelled to Pakistan between 2002 and 2005 to take part in terror training organised by the LeT.
- Headley visited India five times between 2006 and 2008 and carried out recce of several possible targets for Mumbai terror attacks.
- His reconnaissance provided vital information for the 10 LeT terrorists and their Pakistani handlers, who launched the attack on Mumbai on November 26, 2008 in which 166 persons were killed.
- Headley is also accused of doing recce in Copenhagen for an attack on Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, which had published controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad.
- Headley was nabbed in October 2009 by US security officials at the O'Hare International Airport in Chicago while he was about to depart for Pakistan.
- While on trail in the US for his involvement in the Mumbai attacks, Headly had pleaded guilty and turned approver thereby saving himself from a possible death sentence.
- He was nonetheless convicted by a US court and sentenced to 35 years in jail for his role in the 26/11 attacks.
- Headley was on November 18 this year made an accused in the 26/11 terror attacks case by a Mumbai court.