New Delhi: A National Investigation Agency (NIA) Officer was shot dead by two unidentified attackers near his hometown Bijnor in Uttar Pradesh on Saturday night.
Deputy SP Mohammad Tanzil was returning from a function with his wife and two children when attackers opened fire at his car at around 1.30 am.
He succumbed to injuries on way to the hospital. His wife, who also suffered bullet injuries in the attack, is undergoing treatment at a hospital in Noida.
Here are the updates:
- NIA officer laid to rest.
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal pays tribute to NIA officer.
- His family will receive pension and compensation as per procedure: Sanjeev Kumar, IG NIA.
- Mortal remains of Mohammad Tanzil taken for last rites.
- Have spoken to concerned officers. Our team has gone there to enquire and will submit a report soon: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
- Delhi Police's Special Cell also part of the investigation in Bijnor.
- Mortal remains of NIA Deputy SP Mohammad Tanzil brought to his residence in Delhi.
- A NIA team reaches Mohammad Tanzil's residence in Delhi for investigation.
- NIA said that attack on its officer was a planned attack.
- Yes I am aware of the details, have taken it up: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh
- Tanzil was from Border Security Force (BSF) and had joined NIA six years ago on deputation.
- Mohd Tanzil's brother, Raghib Ahmed told NDTV that the officer was shot at 21 times. Whereas, his wife suffered four bullet injuries.
- Patient (Mohd Tanzil's wife) was brought in a critical condition. Doctors providing best medical treatment, says Fortis Hospital medical report.
"He was attending his niece`s marriage. He was with his wife and two children. Two bike-borne assailants shot fire at them. They were referred to the Cosmos hospital," Station House Officer Rajkumar told ANI.
Although, Mohammad Tanzil has been part of several investigations of the NIA but agency's IG refuted the media claims that the officer was part the of ongoing Pathankot terror attack investigation. IG refuted the media claims that the officer was part the of ongoing Pathankot terror attack investigation.
"When he was coming back from a function, a planned attack took place on him. UP Police, STF and ATS are investigating the matter," said NIA IG Sanjiv Kumar Singh.
A team of NIA and UP Police's ATS has reached the Moradabad, where Mohammad Tanzil's body has been kept. NIA DG has also left Lucknow for Morabad.
The deceased officer was posted in Delhi and has gone to his native village to attend the function.