New Delhi: Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore on Wednesday said the proposed broadcast of the BBC documentary on the Nirbhaya rape case and interview with convict Mukesh Singh violates his ministry's programming code, and added that suitable steps would be taken to prevent it.
Blaming the previous UPA regime for giving permission to the BBC correspondent to interview Singh, Rathore said the NDA Government has issued an advisory against the broadcast.
"In 2013, the previous government had given permission to a correspondent from BBC to interview the accused in Nirbhaya rape case. This broadcast is now being supposedly telecast on a certain date as a documentary," said Rathore.
"The Home Ministry has objected to it citing reasons and Information Broadcasting Ministry has issued an advisory because the whole broadcast and its content violates the programming code of the Information Broadcasting Ministry, wherein, there is derogatory language towards women. It seems to incite violence against women," he added.
Rathore further said that there is a contempt of court in the context of the interview because the matter is still sub-judice and perhaps will create a law and order situation.
"It also creates a sense of fear in the women in our society. Media is the fourth pillar of democracy and it is important for the media as well to try and promagulate the constitutional string our nation. We have issued an advisory to this effect and would request the media to adhere to it," he added.
Members of the Rajya Sabha cut across party lines to condemn the interview on Wednesday. The interview was done by British filmmaker Leslee Udwin.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh earlier in the day clarified that terms and conditions for the shooting were violated.