Pakistan's five-member Pathankot probe team, with ISI official, reaches India

Pakistan's Joint Investigation Team reached India on Sunday.

Pakistan's five-member Pathankot probe team, with ISI official, reaches India

Delhi: Pakistan's Joint Investigation Team reached India on Sunday with the investigating agencies planning to provide the probe team access to all witnesses in the Pathankot terror attack case but not security personnel from National Security Guard or the BSF.

The team, which was received by officials of the NIA and Pakistan High Commission, will on Tuesday visit Pathankot. It flew in here by a special flight from Pakistan.

The five-member delegation is being led by Chief of Punjab's Counter Terrorism Department (CTD), Additional Inspector General of Police Muhammad Tahir Rai.

The Pakistani team also comprises of Lahore's Deputy Director General Intelligence Bureau Mohammad Azim Arshad, Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) Lt Col Tanvir Ahmed, Military Intelligence Lt Col Irfan Mirza and Gujaranwala CTD Investigating Officer Shahid Tanveer.

The team will be briefed thoroughly on March 28 at the NIA headquarters which will include a 90-minute presentation on the investigations carried in the case so far, the sources said, as per PTI.

This will be the first time that Pakistani intelligence and police officials are travelling to India to investigate a terror attack.

Witnesses, excepting personnel of NSG, BSF and Garud commandos of IAF, have been lined up for the Pakistan probe team.

The witnesses include Punjab Police Superintendent of Police Salwinder Singh, his jeweller friend Rajesh Verma and cook Madan Gopal and 17 injured people. 

The three were kidnapped by the terrorists on the intervening night of December 31 and January one before they entered into IAF base.

The NIA will also share details about the four terrorists which includes their native villages, people who had cooperated with them and facilitated their entry into India through Bamiyal village on Indo-Pak border.

The terrorists were engaged in an 80-hour gunbattle with the security forces at the IAF base from the intervening night of January 1 and 2.

Seven security personnel were killed, while four bodies of terrorists belonging to Jaish-e-Mohammed were recovered.

The bodies have been preserved.

(With PTI inputs)

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link