Kolkata: Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Rs 16,000 crore steel plant at Burnpur on the second day of his visit to West Bengal on Sunday.
Modi is on his maiden visit to the state after being appointed as the Prime Minister.
Follow the LIVE updates of his visit:
- PM Modi ends his public address.
- I want West Bengal to reach new pinnacles of success.
- Within an year, the perception of the world has changed for India. They now consider India as one of the fastest developing country in the world.
- If the country wants to progress then we will get money from three main sources – fertile land, natural resources and the skills of our youths. We have worked in this direction.
- A foundation will be made in those districts and royalty will be deposited in those areas which will be used for the benefit of people living there. It will be used to provide them education, water and other such facilities.
- We made changes in the policies and decided that money that comes from coal auction will go to state government's treasury. Several states including West Bengal, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh are benefiting from it.
- In 2014, news of scams were dominant. Now, after one year of NDA government, there are no news of coal scam but that of coal auction and that Rs 3 lakh crore are now in government's treasury.
- We are dreaming for second Green Revolution. For this, the eastern parts of the country has immense potential.
- If Kolkata, West Bengal is not made stronger then the eastern part of the country will also not emerge stronger.
- It is our dream to make the eastern part of the country stronger as it has immense potential.
- The agreement on Indo-Bangla Land Boundary Accord happened after the cooperation of states and all political parties. This was a display of Team India – Modi.
- Revival of steel plant would not have been possible if the state government would not have cooperated. It is an example of 'Team India'
- Without 'Team India', India cannot progress. Both prime minister and chief ministers are one team required to take the nation.
- So, shortly after coming to power, we created NITI Aayog and spoke about cooperative federalism.
- Constitution has given federal structure but there has been differences between the relationship between centre and states.
- CM Mamata Banerjee has said that more coordination between centre and states would enable a nation to progress faster.
- PM Modi addressing the gathering at Burnpur shortly after inaugurating the steel plant.
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) May 10, 2015
- PM Modi arrives at Burnpur to inaugurate the steel plant.
- Mamata Banerjee will also be present for the inauguration of the steel plant.
- He is scheduled to travel to Burnpur in Burdwan district by his chopper to inaugurate the Rs 16,000 crore modernised Indian Iron & Steel Company.
- Modi has retreated into the room of Swami Vivekananda to meditate, which was specially opened for the PM.
- Bharatiya Janata Party Lok Sabha members and Union Minister Babul Supriyo and West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi are present to accompany the PM.
- He also interacted with the monks present in the math.
- After arriving at Belur math, Modi interacted with the monks present in the math.
- In his youth, Modi had wanted to be a monk of the order founded by Ramakrishna Paramhamsa but was turned away thrice. During those days, Modi used to regularly meet Athmasthanandaji Maharaj, then deputed to the mission's Rajkot centre, but the monk told him that his calling lay elsewhere, according to IANS.
- He will visit Howrah's Belur Math, the headquarters of the Ramakrishna Math and Mission which was founded by Swami Vivekananda.
- During the 25-minute visit to the temple, Modi offered floral tributes to the presiding deity of Bhavatarini, an aspect of Goddess Kali and asked the temple authorities to get in touch with the PMO for upgradation of the temple, trustee and secretary of the temple Kushal Chowdhury told PTI.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi began the second day of his state visit today by performing puja at Dakshineswar Kali temple, where Ramakrishna Paramhamsa was once the priest and visited the room where he stayed. The temple is situated on the banks of Hooghly river near Kolkata.
- On the first day of his visit on Sunday, PM Narendra Modi shared dais with West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and announced three flagship social security schemes, including an insurance cover for less than Re 1 per day.