18 injured in Srinagar bridge collapse
Srinagar: As many as 18 people, including four policemen, were injured as a wooden footbridge over a stream collapsed here on Saturday, police said.
Police here said a group of people had blocked the road at Ashai Bagh area on the city outskirts, demanding improvement of the roads in their locality adjacent to the main road.
When a group of local people accompanied by the magistrate and the station house officer (SHO) of the police station concerned were crossing a wooden footbridge between Bhat Mohalla and Ashraf Mohalla, the bridge collapsed sending 13 civilians, the official and four policemen into the stream, a police officer said.
"All the persons have been safely rescued. While two of the rescued people have been referred to Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences Soura (SKIMS) for specialised treatment, the rest, according to attending doctors, have been treated for minor injuries," a police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- It may soon be time to say goodbye to dripping ice cream cones!
- Learn how much exercise you need to prevent death
- Scorpene leak: Data includes details on missile likely to be used in submarines
- West Indies vs India, 2nd T20I: Wet outfield denies MS Dhoni & Co chance to level series
- Two minors held for gang-raping minor in Delhi