Amarnath yatra enters last leg
Srinagar: The Amarnath yatra entered its last leg as `Chhari Mubarak`, the holy mace of Lord Shiva, today left for the 3,880 metre high holy cave shrine in south Kashmir Himalayas, even as the number of pilgrims paying obeisance to the ice-lingam crossed six lakh.
The saffron-robed mace was taken from its Dashnami Akhara abode at Budshah Chowk here to Pahalgam by a group of sadhus and pilgrims led by its custodian Mahant Deependra Giri, official sources said.
The chhari mubarak was offered prayers at various temples en route to Pahalgam, which serves as the traditional base camp for the annual pilgrimage, the sources said, adding the sadhus will offer special prayers to the Chhari before leaving for the cave shrine housing naturally formed ice-shivlingam.
The holy mace will cover 46-km Pahalgam-cave route amid night halts at Sheshnag and Pachtarni before reaching the cave shrine on August 2, coinciding with Raksha Bhandan, marking the end of the annual pilgrimage.
The Amarnath yatra commenced on June 25 from the twin tracks -- traditional 45-km Pahalgam route in Anantnag district and 16-km Baltal route in Ganderbal district -- and so far over 6.05 lakh pilgrims had paid obeisance at the shrine.
Before leaving the temple, the Mahant advised the pilgrims to go for proper medical check up before embarking on the yatra as over 90 pilgrims died, mostly due to cardiac arrest, during this year`s yatra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy