Avalanche kills army jawan in Kupwara
Srinagar: An Army jawan was killed after
being struck by an avalanche near the Line of Control (LOC) in
Kupwara district of north Kashmir, police said today.
Rifleman Inder Bahadur Thapa of two Jammu and Kashmir
Light Infantry Regiment was hit by an avalanche in snow-bound
Mawar area of Handwara sector, 130 kms from here, on Monday,
the police said.
They said Thapa was part of a patrolling party deployed
to check any possible attempt by militants to infiltrate into
this side from across the LoC.
His colleagues immediately launched a rescue operation
and sought reinforcements. However, the jawan had died due to
asphyxiation and his body was recovered later, police said.
The high altitude areas of Kashmir valley received
moderate to heavy snowfall last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal