Avalanche kills army jawan in Kupwara
Srinagar: An Army jawan was killed after
being struck by an avalanche near the Line of Control (LOC) in
Kupwara district of north Kashmir, police said today.
Rifleman Inder Bahadur Thapa of two Jammu and Kashmir
Light Infantry Regiment was hit by an avalanche in snow-bound
Mawar area of Handwara sector, 130 kms from here, on Monday,
the police said.
They said Thapa was part of a patrolling party deployed
to check any possible attempt by militants to infiltrate into
this side from across the LoC.
His colleagues immediately launched a rescue operation
and sought reinforcements. However, the jawan had died due to
asphyxiation and his body was recovered later, police said.
The high altitude areas of Kashmir valley received
moderate to heavy snowfall last week.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'