Avalanche kills army jawan in Kupwara
Srinagar: An Army jawan was killed after
being struck by an avalanche near the Line of Control (LOC) in
Kupwara district of north Kashmir, police said today.
Rifleman Inder Bahadur Thapa of two Jammu and Kashmir
Light Infantry Regiment was hit by an avalanche in snow-bound
Mawar area of Handwara sector, 130 kms from here, on Monday,
the police said.
They said Thapa was part of a patrolling party deployed
to check any possible attempt by militants to infiltrate into
this side from across the LoC.
His colleagues immediately launched a rescue operation
and sought reinforcements. However, the jawan had died due to
asphyxiation and his body was recovered later, police said.
The high altitude areas of Kashmir valley received
moderate to heavy snowfall last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal