Avalanche kills army jawan in Kupwara
Srinagar: An Army jawan was killed after
being struck by an avalanche near the Line of Control (LOC) in
Kupwara district of north Kashmir, police said today.
Rifleman Inder Bahadur Thapa of two Jammu and Kashmir
Light Infantry Regiment was hit by an avalanche in snow-bound
Mawar area of Handwara sector, 130 kms from here, on Monday,
the police said.
They said Thapa was part of a patrolling party deployed
to check any possible attempt by militants to infiltrate into
this side from across the LoC.
His colleagues immediately launched a rescue operation
and sought reinforcements. However, the jawan had died due to
asphyxiation and his body was recovered later, police said.
The high altitude areas of Kashmir valley received
moderate to heavy snowfall last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out