Avalanche kills army jawan in Kupwara
Srinagar: An Army jawan was killed after
being struck by an avalanche near the Line of Control (LOC) in
Kupwara district of north Kashmir, police said today.
Rifleman Inder Bahadur Thapa of two Jammu and Kashmir
Light Infantry Regiment was hit by an avalanche in snow-bound
Mawar area of Handwara sector, 130 kms from here, on Monday,
the police said.
They said Thapa was part of a patrolling party deployed
to check any possible attempt by militants to infiltrate into
this side from across the LoC.
His colleagues immediately launched a rescue operation
and sought reinforcements. However, the jawan had died due to
asphyxiation and his body was recovered later, police said.
The high altitude areas of Kashmir valley received
moderate to heavy snowfall last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends