Cold wave continues in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Cold wave conditions continued
unabated in Kashmir Valley with minimum temperatures remaining several degrees below the freezing point.
The minimum temperature in the summer capital Srinagar
dropped by half a degree as the mercury here settled at minus
3.1 degrees Celsius as compared to yesterday`s minus 2.5
degrees Celsius, a MeT official said.
The south Kashmir resort of Pahalgam recorded a low of
minus 3.2 degrees Celsius, while north Kashmir`s skiing resort
Gulmarg, the star attraction for tourists visiting the Valley
during winter, recorded a minimum temperature of minus 7.2
The minimum temperature in Leh town in the remote Ladakh
region rose by nearly two degrees to settle at minus 13.0
degrees Celsius, while in nearby Kargil town the night
temperature was recorded at minus 13.4 degrees Celsius, the
Meanwhile, the month-long dry spell in the Valley may soon end as the state weather department has forecast rain and snowfall in parts of the Valley over the next three days even as cold wave continues unabated in the region.
The MeT department has issued an advisory warning land
and air transport systems of the state may be disrupted as the
western disturbances, which cause rains and snowfall, over the
state are likely to intensify.
The advisory said light to moderate rain and snowfall
will occur at most places of Pirpanjal ranges of Kashmir
division and at isolated places over higher reaches of Jammu
and Ladakh region.
One or two places may receive rather heavy snowfall,
three centimeters and above, the department said.
The Kashmir Valley has been reeling under intense cold
since start of `Chillai Kalan`, a forty-day period of extreme
chilling weather, on December 21.
The Valley has been going through an extended dry spell
which has resulted in an increase in common ailments like
cough, cold and respiratory problems, particularly among the
children and elderly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22