Cold wave continues in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Cold wave conditions continued
unabated in Kashmir Valley with minimum temperatures remaining several degrees below the freezing point.
The minimum temperature in the summer capital Srinagar
dropped by half a degree as the mercury here settled at minus
3.1 degrees Celsius as compared to yesterday`s minus 2.5
degrees Celsius, a MeT official said.
The south Kashmir resort of Pahalgam recorded a low of
minus 3.2 degrees Celsius, while north Kashmir`s skiing resort
Gulmarg, the star attraction for tourists visiting the Valley
during winter, recorded a minimum temperature of minus 7.2
The minimum temperature in Leh town in the remote Ladakh
region rose by nearly two degrees to settle at minus 13.0
degrees Celsius, while in nearby Kargil town the night
temperature was recorded at minus 13.4 degrees Celsius, the
Meanwhile, the month-long dry spell in the Valley may soon end as the state weather department has forecast rain and snowfall in parts of the Valley over the next three days even as cold wave continues unabated in the region.
The MeT department has issued an advisory warning land
and air transport systems of the state may be disrupted as the
western disturbances, which cause rains and snowfall, over the
state are likely to intensify.
The advisory said light to moderate rain and snowfall
will occur at most places of Pirpanjal ranges of Kashmir
division and at isolated places over higher reaches of Jammu
and Ladakh region.
One or two places may receive rather heavy snowfall,
three centimeters and above, the department said.
The Kashmir Valley has been reeling under intense cold
since start of `Chillai Kalan`, a forty-day period of extreme
chilling weather, on December 21.
The Valley has been going through an extended dry spell
which has resulted in an increase in common ailments like
cough, cold and respiratory problems, particularly among the
children and elderly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi