Geelani not under house arrest: J&K police
Srinagar: Rubbishing reports that Syed Ali Shah Geelani had been placed under house arrest, Jammu and Kashmir Police on Tuesday said there were no restrictions on the movement of the hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman and he was free to go anywhere.
"The allegations that Geelani was placed under house arrest on Monday evening to prevent him to attend a function at a hotel is baseless and far away from the facts," a statement issued by police said here.
"Geelani is not under house arrest and is free to go anywhere," the statement said, adding that in the recent past he visited Ziyarat Sharief Batmaloo Sahib, Hazratbal shrine and offered prayers there.
Similarly he has offered the `Namazi Jinazah` (prayer after death) of Prof Mehraj ud din at Hazratbal besides attending the condolence gathering of Ajaz Ahmad at Soura recently.
He also got himself medically examined at SKIMS and Bone and Joints Hospital, it said.
However, the movements of the Hurriyat leader are restricted on certain occasions as a precautionary measure.
"The movements of Geelani are restricted on certain occasions when there is a potential of creating breach of peace and public tranquility by him which endangers public life and property. However, the same are done in accordance with the provisions of the law," the statement said.
Geelani was not prevented to attend an `Iftar` party yesterday, but he himself chose not to leave his Hyderpora residence, it claimed.
A spokesman of the Hurriyat had accused that Geelani was placed under house arrest to prevent him from attending the party, which he had hosted in a local hotel.
Noted lawyer and BJP MP Ram Jethmalani during a meeting with Geelani last week assured him that he will challenge his house arrest in the Supreme court after the separatist leader complained about strict restrictions on his movement over the past couple of years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in