Geelani not under house arrest: J&K police
Srinagar: Rubbishing reports that Syed Ali Shah Geelani had been placed under house arrest, Jammu and Kashmir Police on Tuesday said there were no restrictions on the movement of the hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman and he was free to go anywhere.
"The allegations that Geelani was placed under house arrest on Monday evening to prevent him to attend a function at a hotel is baseless and far away from the facts," a statement issued by police said here.
"Geelani is not under house arrest and is free to go anywhere," the statement said, adding that in the recent past he visited Ziyarat Sharief Batmaloo Sahib, Hazratbal shrine and offered prayers there.
Similarly he has offered the `Namazi Jinazah` (prayer after death) of Prof Mehraj ud din at Hazratbal besides attending the condolence gathering of Ajaz Ahmad at Soura recently.
He also got himself medically examined at SKIMS and Bone and Joints Hospital, it said.
However, the movements of the Hurriyat leader are restricted on certain occasions as a precautionary measure.
"The movements of Geelani are restricted on certain occasions when there is a potential of creating breach of peace and public tranquility by him which endangers public life and property. However, the same are done in accordance with the provisions of the law," the statement said.
Geelani was not prevented to attend an `Iftar` party yesterday, but he himself chose not to leave his Hyderpora residence, it claimed.
A spokesman of the Hurriyat had accused that Geelani was placed under house arrest to prevent him from attending the party, which he had hosted in a local hotel.
Noted lawyer and BJP MP Ram Jethmalani during a meeting with Geelani last week assured him that he will challenge his house arrest in the Supreme court after the separatist leader complained about strict restrictions on his movement over the past couple of years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged