Jammu bar association observes strike
Jammu: The Bar Association of Jammu called a general strike here on Tuesday to demand the rollback of the Jammu and Kashmir government`s decision to transfer land and property registration from the judiciary to the executive.
The bar association`s call is supported by over a dozen business and social organisations in Jammu who are opposed to the transfer of registration powers to revenue department officials who are also executive magistrates of the area.
Jagar Mal Gupta, who owns a general merchandise shop in the posh Gandhi Nagar locality, will keep his shop closed on Tuesday in support of the lawyers` demand.
"I feel that powers of registration should be with the judiciary as the common man will otherwise be burdened with greasing the palms of revenue officials who are corrupt from top to bottom," Jagar observed.
Most shops, business establishments and commuter vehicles did not operate in the morning.
The government`s logic behind the decision is that it will increase the "direct revenue of the government through stamp paper duty and also, the records of lands and properties are with revenue department, which will make things easier for common man".
Lawyers feel that besides many of them losing business due to the move, the common man will be "harassed by corrupt revenue officials".
Bar Association president BS Salathia said: "We will take our protest to a logical conclusion."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Sahara group puts out huge 4,700 acres of land for sale
- Sensex shows traction, up 117 on monsoon update, strong Q4
- High-speed Spanish Talgo train begins trial run, to be introduced on Delhi-Mumbai route
- Want to improve your sex life? Ditch tampons for menstrual cups!
- Batla House encounter: BJP protests outside Sonia Gandhi's residence