J&K authorities extend avalanche warning
Srinagar: Authorities here on Sunday extended the
medium avalanche warning in areas close to mountainous areas
of the Kashmir valley following fresh snowfall over the past
"On the basis of information received from Snow and
Avalanche Study Establishment (SASE), the Coordinator
Divisional Disaster Management Cell has issued medium danger
Avalanche warning for the next 24 hours upto 5.00pm tomorrow,"
an official spokesman said.
He said the avalanche warning has been issued in the
snowbound hilly areas of Khilanmarg, Gulmarg, Uri in Baramulla
district, Chowkibal, Tangdhar in Kupwara district, Gurez in
Bandipora district, Pulwama Shopian and Kulgam in south
A similar alert has been issued in Kishtwar and Banihal
areas, south of Pir Panjal Range, and Zojila and Sonamarg on
Srinaar-Leh road, he added.
"People living in these areas have been advised not to
venture in steep avalanche prone slopes during above mentioned
period. They are also advised to keep cleaning the snow from
roof top of their houses to avoid any causality due to roof
collapse," the spokesman said.
He said people living near the forests have been
advised not to go for collection of firewood, as there is
apprehension of avalanche.
Moderate snowfall has been going on intermittently
across Kashmir valley including summer capital Srinagar since
Authorities on Friday issued a medium danger avalanche
warning in some areas of north Kashmir but it was extended to
other areas of the valley following fresh snowfall yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM