J&K authorities extend avalanche warning
Srinagar: Authorities here on Sunday extended the
medium avalanche warning in areas close to mountainous areas
of the Kashmir valley following fresh snowfall over the past
"On the basis of information received from Snow and
Avalanche Study Establishment (SASE), the Coordinator
Divisional Disaster Management Cell has issued medium danger
Avalanche warning for the next 24 hours upto 5.00pm tomorrow,"
an official spokesman said.
He said the avalanche warning has been issued in the
snowbound hilly areas of Khilanmarg, Gulmarg, Uri in Baramulla
district, Chowkibal, Tangdhar in Kupwara district, Gurez in
Bandipora district, Pulwama Shopian and Kulgam in south
A similar alert has been issued in Kishtwar and Banihal
areas, south of Pir Panjal Range, and Zojila and Sonamarg on
Srinaar-Leh road, he added.
"People living in these areas have been advised not to
venture in steep avalanche prone slopes during above mentioned
period. They are also advised to keep cleaning the snow from
roof top of their houses to avoid any causality due to roof
collapse," the spokesman said.
He said people living near the forests have been
advised not to go for collection of firewood, as there is
apprehension of avalanche.
Moderate snowfall has been going on intermittently
across Kashmir valley including summer capital Srinagar since
Authorities on Friday issued a medium danger avalanche
warning in some areas of north Kashmir but it was extended to
other areas of the valley following fresh snowfall yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Graeme Cremer named Zimbabwe's Test captain for Test series against New Zealand
- Divide and rule by Beijing throw ASEAN into disarray
- Una incident: Gujarat Chief Secretary says accused made video for 'fun'
- Last day of Mi 2nd Anniversary Carnival: Grab Xiaomi Mi Max at only Re 1
- AAP MP Bhagwant Mann defends posting video on Facebook, says has done nothing to risk Parliament security