J&K: Former HeI commander, family arrested
Jammu: A former district commander of the Hizb-e-Islami (HeI) outfit, his wife and their three children were arrested in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir after they returned from Pakistan via Nepal, officials said on Friday.
Sarfaraz Ahmed, his wife Shaheen Akhtar and their children were taken into custody by a police team last night when they reached Bhimber Gali area of Poonch district, they said.
Sarfaraz, who belonged to Surankote belt of the district, had crossed over to PoK via the LoC in 1999 for arms training and came back to India in 2000. He operated as a HeI commander in Poonch and Rajouri belts for 3 years, they said.
He again escaped to PoK in 2004 along with Shaheen, then a resident of Mehrote in Poonch, and married her there, officials said, adding that the family was returning to India via Nepal.
Nothing incriminating was recovered from him and his interrogation is on, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video