J&K: Former HeI commander, family arrested
Jammu: A former district commander of the Hizb-e-Islami (HeI) outfit, his wife and their three children were arrested in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir after they returned from Pakistan via Nepal, officials said on Friday.
Sarfaraz Ahmed, his wife Shaheen Akhtar and their children were taken into custody by a police team last night when they reached Bhimber Gali area of Poonch district, they said.
Sarfaraz, who belonged to Surankote belt of the district, had crossed over to PoK via the LoC in 1999 for arms training and came back to India in 2000. He operated as a HeI commander in Poonch and Rajouri belts for 3 years, they said.
He again escaped to PoK in 2004 along with Shaheen, then a resident of Mehrote in Poonch, and married her there, officials said, adding that the family was returning to India via Nepal.
Nothing incriminating was recovered from him and his interrogation is on, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days