Kargil records lowest minimum temperature
Srinagar: There was no respite from freezing cold for residents of Kashmir with Kargil town in Ladakh recording a minimum temperature of minus 19.6 degrees Celsius becoming the coldest place of the region this season.
The minimum temperature recorded in Kargil town last night was 19.6 degrees Celsius, which was the lowest in any part of the state this winter, an official of the MeT department said.
Leh town, also in Ladakh region, recorded a minimum temperature of minus 18.2 degrees Celsius, the official said. He said Gulmarg skiing resort in north Kashmir was the coldest place in the Valley where mercury settled at minus 16.5 degrees C last night.
The night temperature dipped in south Kashmir`s Pahalgam resort to minus 12.2 degrees C, the official said.
The summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, Srinagar, continued to remain in the grip of intense cold as the night temperature settled at minus 3.6 degrees Celsius.
Kashmir valley is going through `chillai kalan`, the forty-day period of extremely harsh winter which began on December 21.
The extreme chill across the Valley has resulted in immense hardships to the residents with water supply lines frozen. Dal Lake and other water bodies have also been partially frozen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam