Kashmir: Five LeT militants shot dead in encounter
Srinagar: In the first major encounter in
Kashmir this year, Security forces on Wednesday shot dead five
Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militants in Handwara area of Kupwara
"Five militants have been killed in an encounter in
Handwara area," a defence spokesman said. He said the
militants were foreigners.
The militants were asked to surrender after being
confronted by the search party but they refused and opened
fire, the spokesman said.
A police spokesman said security forces lauched an
anti-militancy operation in Laribal-Peer Mohalla near Rajwar
forests, 100 kms from here, following information about
presence of militants in the area.
This is the first major gunbattle between security forces
and militants in Kashmir Valley this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users