Kashmir valley receives fresh snowfall
Srinagar: The Kashmir valley received fresh
snow and overnight rains even as the temperature in most
areas, including the Gulmarg skiing resort, remained below the
The Gulmarg resort in north Kashmir, which was the
coldest place in the valley Thursday night, was covered with a
thick blanket of snow.
An official at the MeT department said Gulmarg had
received seven inches of snow and 22.1 mm of rainfall.
Mercury has plunged to a low of minus five degrees
celsius, he said.
In the summer capital here, the minimum temperature was
recorded at 1.8 degree celsius, he said. Srinagar received
21.4 mm rainfall.
Rainfall and snow over the last two days has brought
respite from the dry weather conditions which had prevailed in
the valley over the last fortnight.
The MeT official said they expect light to moderate rains
and snowfall would occur at several places in the valley in
the next few hours.
The gateway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir received
one centimetre snowfall and witnessed a minimum temperature of
minus 2.0 degrees celsius, a fall of 4.2 degrees as compared
North Kashmir`s frontier Kupwara district received five
centimeter snowfall and 30.7 mm rainfall, recording the low of
0.5 degrees Celsius, he said.
The south Kashmir tourist resort of Pahalgam received 13
cm snowfall and 37.0 mm rainfall, the official said. He said
the minimum temperature in Pahalgam was minus 2.0 degrees
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya