Kashmir valley receives fresh snowfall
Srinagar: The Kashmir valley received fresh
snow and overnight rains even as the temperature in most
areas, including the Gulmarg skiing resort, remained below the
The Gulmarg resort in north Kashmir, which was the
coldest place in the valley Thursday night, was covered with a
thick blanket of snow.
An official at the MeT department said Gulmarg had
received seven inches of snow and 22.1 mm of rainfall.
Mercury has plunged to a low of minus five degrees
celsius, he said.
In the summer capital here, the minimum temperature was
recorded at 1.8 degree celsius, he said. Srinagar received
21.4 mm rainfall.
Rainfall and snow over the last two days has brought
respite from the dry weather conditions which had prevailed in
the valley over the last fortnight.
The MeT official said they expect light to moderate rains
and snowfall would occur at several places in the valley in
the next few hours.
The gateway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir received
one centimetre snowfall and witnessed a minimum temperature of
minus 2.0 degrees celsius, a fall of 4.2 degrees as compared
North Kashmir`s frontier Kupwara district received five
centimeter snowfall and 30.7 mm rainfall, recording the low of
0.5 degrees Celsius, he said.
The south Kashmir tourist resort of Pahalgam received 13
cm snowfall and 37.0 mm rainfall, the official said. He said
the minimum temperature in Pahalgam was minus 2.0 degrees
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31