Lakes freeze in sub-zero Kashmir
Srinagar: Most of the lakes and other water bodies started freezing in the Kashmir Valley Tuesday as the maximum temperature also fell below zero degree Celsius for the first time this season here.
"For the first time this season, the maximum temperature fell below the freezing point yesterday (Monday). The minimum was minus 2.8 degrees in Srinagar today (Tuesday)," Abdul Rashid Zargar, assistant director of the local weather office, said here.
"The dipping of the maximum temperature below the freezing point in Srinagar and other parts of the valley has added to the severe cold. The night temperatures are likely to fall further," he said.
Another western disturbance is approaching the valley by the weekend, and under its influence there could be a major snowfall, he added.
The minimum temperature in south Kashmir`s Pahalgam hill station was minus 11.4 while it was minus 16.2 at Gulmarg ski resort and minus 14.8 in the Leh town of Ladakh region.
The Dal Lake in Srinagar has started freezing at many places, and the local fishermen and shikarawallahs are finding it difficult to row their boats.
Highly slippery road conditions in Srinagar and other places are causing many people to slip and tumble and even suffer broken bones, and the bones and joints hospital here has reported large numbers of such cases the past few days.
"Cases of broken limbs have increased manifold during the last three days," a doctor said.
Motorists have been advised to drive with extreme caution as frozen ice has made the roads are highly slippery. Two-wheeler owners and drivers have been told to stay off the roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India