Minimum temp dips below freezing point in Kashmir
Srinagar: The minimum temperature across the
Kashmir Valley remained below the freezing point even though there was some relief from the intense cold wave that had engulfed the region over the last one month.
North Kashmir`s Gulmarg resort, which remained the
coldest place in the Valley, recorded a freezing night with
mercury slipping to minus 10.2 degrees Celsius, a drop of 2.7
degrees from yesterday, a MeT official said.
The Pahalgam resort in south Kashmir recorded the minimum
temperature of minus 4.5 degrees Celsius, he said, a fall of
5.2 degrees from yesterday.
Fresh snowfall and rains also lashed the Pahalgam resort
which received 14.8 mm downpour.
The minimum temperature in the Kashmir Valley has
increased considerably over the last few days providing a respite to the residents after a month of intense cold wave when even day temperature had remained below the freezing point.
Srinagar city recorded a low of minus 0.2 degrees Celsius
and one millimeter rains over night, he said.
Qazigund, the gateway town to the Kashmir Valley,
recorded a minimum of minus 0.6 degrees Celsius and 8.8mm snow
and rainfall, the official said.
The north Kashmir`s frontier Kupwara town was the only
place in the Kashmir Valley where the minimum temperature
remained above the freezing point settling at 0.5 degrees
Leh town in the remote Ladakh region recorded the night
temperature of minus 14.4 degrees Celsius, a drop of seven
degrees from last night, the official said.
The adjoining Kargil town, also in Ladakh region,
recorded the minimum temperature at minus 11.0 degrees
Celsius, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living