Minimum temp dips below freezing point in Kashmir
Srinagar: The minimum temperature across the
Kashmir Valley remained below the freezing point even though there was some relief from the intense cold wave that had engulfed the region over the last one month.
North Kashmir`s Gulmarg resort, which remained the
coldest place in the Valley, recorded a freezing night with
mercury slipping to minus 10.2 degrees Celsius, a drop of 2.7
degrees from yesterday, a MeT official said.
The Pahalgam resort in south Kashmir recorded the minimum
temperature of minus 4.5 degrees Celsius, he said, a fall of
5.2 degrees from yesterday.
Fresh snowfall and rains also lashed the Pahalgam resort
which received 14.8 mm downpour.
The minimum temperature in the Kashmir Valley has
increased considerably over the last few days providing a respite to the residents after a month of intense cold wave when even day temperature had remained below the freezing point.
Srinagar city recorded a low of minus 0.2 degrees Celsius
and one millimeter rains over night, he said.
Qazigund, the gateway town to the Kashmir Valley,
recorded a minimum of minus 0.6 degrees Celsius and 8.8mm snow
and rainfall, the official said.
The north Kashmir`s frontier Kupwara town was the only
place in the Kashmir Valley where the minimum temperature
remained above the freezing point settling at 0.5 degrees
Leh town in the remote Ladakh region recorded the night
temperature of minus 14.4 degrees Celsius, a drop of seven
degrees from last night, the official said.
The adjoining Kargil town, also in Ladakh region,
recorded the minimum temperature at minus 11.0 degrees
Celsius, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH