Oil tankers in J&K go on indefinite strike
Jammu: The Oil Tankers Association here went on an indefinite strike across Jammu and Kashmir from Tuesday, demanding action against those involved in the suspicious death of a tanker driver in Kashmir Valley.
Akshay Kumar of Sunderbani in Rajouri district had driven a diesel tanker to Srinagar June 21. Some days later, on June 30, his body was found with his throat slit, said association president Anand Sharma.
Akshay was cremated on Tuesday.
"The tanker was found in Pulwama, about 35 km from Srinagar, but Akshay was missing," Sharma said.
The owner of the tanker, Surinder Singh, who belongs to Jammu, went to lodge a police report but was instead accused of being involved, he said.
According to Sharma, Akshay`s body was found buried in Qazigund area, about 90 km south of Srinagar on June 30.
Surinder Singh and other tanker owners recovered the body and handed it over to Akshay`s family.
The oil tankers have declared indefinite strike across the state from Tuesday "till culprits are not found and strict action taken against them".
They are also demanding compensation to the family of the killed driver and safety for tanker drivers going to the Kashmir Valley.
There are 1,760 oil tankers in Jammu and Kashmir. Of these, about 1,000 ply daily, carrying petrol, diesel and kerosene to different parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray