One injured in avalanche strike in Baramulla
Srinagar: One person was injured after being
struck by an avalanche in Baramulla district of north Kashmir
today, officials said.
Mohammad Ashraf Bhat, a resident of Uri, came under the
avalanche near Nambla, 110 kms from here on the
Srinagar-Muzaffarabad road, they said.
However, Bhat was rescued by the locals and was shifted
to hospital with multiple fractures, they added.
The Kashmir Valley, including summer capital Srinagar,
experienced moderate to heavy snowfall since Saturday night.
Following the heavy snowfall, authorities yesterday
issued an avalanche warning in the higher reaches of Kashmir
Valley close to the Line of Control.
"On the basis of information received from Snow and
Avalanche Study Establishment (SASE), a medium danger
avalanche warning has been issued for higher reaches of
north Kashmir," Coordinator Natural Disaster Management Cell
Aamir Ali had said.
The official said the areas prone to avalanches include
Khilanmarg, Uri, Chowkibal, Tangdar, Keran, Macchil and Gurez.
"People living in these snow-bound areas above the
height of 7,500 feet have been advised not to venture out in
avalanche prone areas during the next 24 hours," Ali said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’