Revocation of AFSPA vital to improve ground situation: Mirwaiz
Srinagar: The moderate Hurriyat Conference on Friday called for revocation of Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) and gradual withdrawal of troops from Jammu and Kashmir to improve ground situation.
"We reiterate our demand for revocation of special powers to six lakh armed forces present in the state and start of withdrawal of troops.
"Until troops enjoy powers under black laws like AFSPA, no change can be expected in the ground situation in Kashmir," Chairman of moderate Hurriyat Conference Mirwaiz Umer Farooq said addressing a Friday congregation at Jamia Masjid in downtown Srinagar.
He said there is no justification for AFSPA and other such laws as the Centre and state governments are making claims of improvement in the situation.
Mirwaiz said bilateral political dialogue between India and Pakistan will not prove fruitful till its positive impact is visible on the ground in Kashmir.
"On the one hand Justice Verma Commission recommends revocation of AFSPA, on the other the stand taken by the government on the issue is open violation of human rights," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents