Shutdown called by Geelani hits life in Valley
Srinagar: Normal life was Wednesday affected in Kashmir due to a day-long shutdown called by hardline Hurriyat Conference headed by Syed Ali Shah Geelani on the third death anniversary of two Shopian women that had led to widespread protests.
The shutdown call by the hardline Hurriyat faction was marked by thin traffic on roads in the city as many shops and business establishments remained closed.
Schools across the city also remained shut and the commercial nerve centre of Lal Chowk and its adjoining markets wore a deserted look.
Geelani had earlier called for a strike on May 29, but postponed it for a day after members of the Kashmiri Pandit community called on the separatist leader asking him to reconsider the shutdown call as it coincided with the Hindu Kheer Bhawani festival yesterday.
Geelani called for the shutdown on the third anniversary of the two Shopian women - Aasiya and Neelofar. The local residents had alleged that the two women were raped and murdered by unknown men suspected to be from security agencies.
The 2009 incident led to a month-long agitation, largely limited to south Kashmir`s Shopian district, before a CBI probe concluded the two women were not raped and murdered but had drowned.
The shutdown call evoked a mix response in the Civil Lines of the city where many shops remained open and private cars and passenger cabs plied on the roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news