Some relief from cold in Kashmir
Srinagar: Barring Leh town in frontier region of Ladakh, the night temperature across the Kashmir Valley recorded an increase for the second consecutive day on Thursday.
Although the minimum temperature across the Valley and Ladakh region continued to remain below freezing point, the improvement in the mercury brought much needed relief to the people from the intense cold gripping the region.
The minimum temperature in summer capital Srinagar improved further and settled at minus 2.5 degrees Celsius as compared to minus 3.4 degrees Celsius the previous night, a
spokesman of the MeT office said.
The city witnessed the season`s coldest night earlier this week when mercury dipped to a low of minus 4.9 degrees Celsius.
However, the remote Leh district of Ladakh region witnessed a further dip as the mercury settled at minus 17.0 degrees Celsius, making it the coldest place in Jammu and
Kashmir, the spokesman said.
The Kargil town, also in mountainous Ladakh region, recorded a low of minus 14.0 deg C, he said.
The north Kashmir skiing resort of Gulmarg, the star attraction for tourists visiting the Valley during winter, recorded a minimum temperature of minus 7.0 degrees Celsius,
an increase of one degree compared the previous night.
There has been a drastic drop in temperature since `Chillai Kalan`, a forty-day period of extreme chilling weather which began on December 21.
The tourist resort of Pahalgam in south Kashmir recorded
a minus 6.3 deg C followed by Kokernag hill resort at minus
The gateway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir recorded a
minimum of minus 4.4 deg C, while north Kashmir Kupwara town
recorded a minimum of minus 3.1 deg C.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list