Some relief from cold in Kashmir
Srinagar: Barring Leh town in frontier region of Ladakh, the night temperature across the Kashmir Valley recorded an increase for the second consecutive day on Thursday.
Although the minimum temperature across the Valley and Ladakh region continued to remain below freezing point, the improvement in the mercury brought much needed relief to the people from the intense cold gripping the region.
The minimum temperature in summer capital Srinagar improved further and settled at minus 2.5 degrees Celsius as compared to minus 3.4 degrees Celsius the previous night, a
spokesman of the MeT office said.
The city witnessed the season`s coldest night earlier this week when mercury dipped to a low of minus 4.9 degrees Celsius.
However, the remote Leh district of Ladakh region witnessed a further dip as the mercury settled at minus 17.0 degrees Celsius, making it the coldest place in Jammu and
Kashmir, the spokesman said.
The Kargil town, also in mountainous Ladakh region, recorded a low of minus 14.0 deg C, he said.
The north Kashmir skiing resort of Gulmarg, the star attraction for tourists visiting the Valley during winter, recorded a minimum temperature of minus 7.0 degrees Celsius,
an increase of one degree compared the previous night.
There has been a drastic drop in temperature since `Chillai Kalan`, a forty-day period of extreme chilling weather which began on December 21.
The tourist resort of Pahalgam in south Kashmir recorded
a minus 6.3 deg C followed by Kokernag hill resort at minus
The gateway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir recorded a
minimum of minus 4.4 deg C, while north Kashmir Kupwara town
recorded a minimum of minus 3.1 deg C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi