Srinagar freezes for 6th day, record broken
Srinagar: A severe cold wave continued in the Kashmir Valley Friday with Srinagar breaking a 16-year record. The city`s day temperature remained below the freezing point for the sixth straight day.
Sonam Lotus, director of the Met office, told a news agency: "After 16 years, the day temperatures have remained below the freezing point the last six days in Srinagar."
Lotus warned that the valley was in store for more cold.
"We are expecting light to moderate snowfall in Srinagar Jan 15 and 16. It could be heavy in the higher reaches, especially the Pir Panjal mountain range."
The minimum temperature in Srinagar Friday was minus 3.6 degrees and the maximum Thursday was minus 0.5 degrees.
The minimum in Qazigund town of Anantnag district was minus 6.2 degrees Friday.
It was minus 12.2 in Pahalgam, minus 16.5 in Gulmarg, minus 18.2 in Leh town of Ladakh region and minus 19.6 degrees in Kargil.
"Kargil town was the coldest place in Kashmir Friday, recording the lowest temperature of the season so far," Lotus said.
Few people were on the streets because of slippery roads which led to many bone injuries, especially to the elderly.
Doctors at the city`s only specialized bone and joint hospital said the number of patients reporting with broken bones and dislocated joints had increased during the last fortnight.
"People are advised to wear proper footwear and move about with caution on the roads to minimise the risk of bone injuries," a doctor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video