Srinagar freezes for 6th day, record broken
Srinagar: A severe cold wave continued in the Kashmir Valley Friday with Srinagar breaking a 16-year record. The city`s day temperature remained below the freezing point for the sixth straight day.
Sonam Lotus, director of the Met office, told a news agency: "After 16 years, the day temperatures have remained below the freezing point the last six days in Srinagar."
Lotus warned that the valley was in store for more cold.
"We are expecting light to moderate snowfall in Srinagar Jan 15 and 16. It could be heavy in the higher reaches, especially the Pir Panjal mountain range."
The minimum temperature in Srinagar Friday was minus 3.6 degrees and the maximum Thursday was minus 0.5 degrees.
The minimum in Qazigund town of Anantnag district was minus 6.2 degrees Friday.
It was minus 12.2 in Pahalgam, minus 16.5 in Gulmarg, minus 18.2 in Leh town of Ladakh region and minus 19.6 degrees in Kargil.
"Kargil town was the coldest place in Kashmir Friday, recording the lowest temperature of the season so far," Lotus said.
Few people were on the streets because of slippery roads which led to many bone injuries, especially to the elderly.
Doctors at the city`s only specialized bone and joint hospital said the number of patients reporting with broken bones and dislocated joints had increased during the last fortnight.
"People are advised to wear proper footwear and move about with caution on the roads to minimise the risk of bone injuries," a doctor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo