Srinagar freezes for 6th day, record broken
Srinagar: A severe cold wave continued in the Kashmir Valley Friday with Srinagar breaking a 16-year record. The city`s day temperature remained below the freezing point for the sixth straight day.
Sonam Lotus, director of the Met office, told a news agency: "After 16 years, the day temperatures have remained below the freezing point the last six days in Srinagar."
Lotus warned that the valley was in store for more cold.
"We are expecting light to moderate snowfall in Srinagar Jan 15 and 16. It could be heavy in the higher reaches, especially the Pir Panjal mountain range."
The minimum temperature in Srinagar Friday was minus 3.6 degrees and the maximum Thursday was minus 0.5 degrees.
The minimum in Qazigund town of Anantnag district was minus 6.2 degrees Friday.
It was minus 12.2 in Pahalgam, minus 16.5 in Gulmarg, minus 18.2 in Leh town of Ladakh region and minus 19.6 degrees in Kargil.
"Kargil town was the coldest place in Kashmir Friday, recording the lowest temperature of the season so far," Lotus said.
Few people were on the streets because of slippery roads which led to many bone injuries, especially to the elderly.
Doctors at the city`s only specialized bone and joint hospital said the number of patients reporting with broken bones and dislocated joints had increased during the last fortnight.
"People are advised to wear proper footwear and move about with caution on the roads to minimise the risk of bone injuries," a doctor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- She's a bae! Priyanka Chopra to get special poster for 'Baywatch'
- Foreign Investors buoyed by Indian investment: USIBC to Obama
- Check Mahresults.nic.in & hscresult.mkcl.org for class 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board, MSBSHSE today at 1 PM
- Pinarayi Vijayan to swear-in as Kerala CM today, says people have high hopes of us