Temperatures dip to lowest in Kashmir, Ladakh
Srinagar: The free fall of mercury continued across the Kashmir Valley and Ladakh on Saturday with cities and towns in both regions recording some of their lowest temperatures till now.
Srinagar recorded minus 4.3 degrees, the lowest in the city this season so far.
"Leh was the coldest place in Jammu and Kashmir with the minimum temperature there dipping to minus 14.0 degrees Celsius while Kargil town recorded minus 12.0 degrees," an official of the local meteorological department said here.
The ski resort of Gulmarg in North Kashmir recorded minus 8.2 while Pahalgam in South Kashmir recorded a low of minus 6.6 degrees Celsius.
The official also said the night temperatures would continue to fall further during the next two days because of clear, windy nights across the Valley.
"On the afternoon of December 19, we are expecting the arrival of a Western disturbance, which could result in light rains in the plains and a mild snowfall in the higher reaches. This would bring in respite for the locals who have been experiencing severe cold, especially during the nights," the official added.
`Western disturbance` is the term used in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal to describe an extra-tropical storm originating in the Mediterranean Sea region that brings sudden winter rain and snow to the northwestern parts of the Indian sub-continent.
Western disturbances are important for the Rabi (winter) crops in the northern parts of the Indian sub-continent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends