Three killed, 50 injured as school bus plunges into gorge
Srinagar: A teacher and a student were among three persons killed while 50 others injured when a school bus carrying students on a picnic trip plunged into a gorge near Gulmarg tourist resort in Kashmir`s Baramulla district on Wednesday.
The bus carrying students of Iqra Educational Institute of Kupwara district was on way to Baba Reshi shrine near Gulmarg when it fell into the gorge at Nambal Nard near Tangmarg, 45 kms from here, police said.
Rescue teams managed to evacuate 53 persons -- students and staff members -- to a hospital. However, two of the injured, 25-year-old teacher Jehangir Dar and 13-year-old student Owais Manzoor Wani, were declared dead in the hospital, they said.
The bus driver, Akhtar Hussain, succumbed to injuries later, while four other seriously injured had been referred to Soura Medical Institute here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak