Three killed, 50 injured as school bus plunges into gorge
Srinagar: A teacher and a student were among three persons killed while 50 others injured when a school bus carrying students on a picnic trip plunged into a gorge near Gulmarg tourist resort in Kashmir`s Baramulla district on Wednesday.
The bus carrying students of Iqra Educational Institute of Kupwara district was on way to Baba Reshi shrine near Gulmarg when it fell into the gorge at Nambal Nard near Tangmarg, 45 kms from here, police said.
Rescue teams managed to evacuate 53 persons -- students and staff members -- to a hospital. However, two of the injured, 25-year-old teacher Jehangir Dar and 13-year-old student Owais Manzoor Wani, were declared dead in the hospital, they said.
The bus driver, Akhtar Hussain, succumbed to injuries later, while four other seriously injured had been referred to Soura Medical Institute here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead