Three killed, 50 injured as school bus plunges into gorge
Srinagar: A teacher and a student were among three persons killed while 50 others injured when a school bus carrying students on a picnic trip plunged into a gorge near Gulmarg tourist resort in Kashmir`s Baramulla district on Wednesday.
The bus carrying students of Iqra Educational Institute of Kupwara district was on way to Baba Reshi shrine near Gulmarg when it fell into the gorge at Nambal Nard near Tangmarg, 45 kms from here, police said.
Rescue teams managed to evacuate 53 persons -- students and staff members -- to a hospital. However, two of the injured, 25-year-old teacher Jehangir Dar and 13-year-old student Owais Manzoor Wani, were declared dead in the hospital, they said.
The bus driver, Akhtar Hussain, succumbed to injuries later, while four other seriously injured had been referred to Soura Medical Institute here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing