Three more die on way to Amarnath shrine, toll 22
Srinagar: Two more Amarnath pilgrims died during the course of their journey, taking the toll during this year`s yatra to 22.
Anita Chourasiya (35) from Uttar Pradesh and Sadhu Ram (34) from Uttrakhand died of cardiac arrest at Brarimarg and Panjtarni areas yesterday, officials said.
Chourasiya was on her way to the 3,880 metre high shrine housing the naturally formed ice-shivligam, while Ram was returning to the Pahalgam base camp after paying obeisance at the temple, they said.
A Pahalgam-bound devotee, Mohan Lal from Delhi, yesterday died at Anokhi Fall on the Srinagar-Jammu highway when a rock fell on him, they said.
Extreme weather conditions have failed to dampen spirits of devotees who are turning up in large numbers for the pilgrimage in its second week.
Over 1.50 lakh devotees have performed `darshan` at the cave shrine situated in the south Kashmir Himalayas by this afternoon.
The pilgrimage had commenced on June 25 from twin tracks of Baltal in Ganderbal district and Pahalgam in Anantnag.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional